Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Pacquiao’s toughest fight is in the political ring


His latest victory over Joshua Clottey now in the books, the 31-year-old Filipino Manny Pacquiao faces a much tougher fight in the political ring.

Pacquiao dominated Clottey on Saturday is hoping to make the transition from boxer to politician when he begins campaigning next month for a congressional seat in the Philippine national election.

If elected on May 10, he would preside over a poverty-stricken province of Saranggani on the southern island of Mindanao.

Pacquiao is considered the greatest pound-for-pound boxer in the world but he has his work cut out for him in the political theatre. He ran for Congress in 2007 but failed to get elected.

“I am going to take a one week rest and go back to the Philippines and start campaigning for my political career,” Pacquiao said Saturday after beating Clottey by a unanimous 12-round decision at Cowboys Stadium. “I want to help the people especially in my place.”

Ask when he would fight again, Pacquiao said, “I don’t know. I am going to decide that after the elections.”

No comments:

Post a Comment